Saturday

I confess to calling someone patronising

I've admitted before how difficult I find it sometimes to stick to the idealised version of #KinderPolitics. So am I advocating self-censorship? I believe repression is a last resort in a series of processes to tune up one's ethical behaviour. I also believe that within "safe confines", name-calling can be a useful intermediate step to finding out what the unmet needs are that the other (#hartless?) person represents. Indeed, for 12 years I ran two websites designed to assist people to get from the name-calling to the respectful request-making, grounded in 

  • needs-consciousness, 
  • depth of identified feeling (&)
  • separation of upset from a non-judgemental account of what happened.
 These websites were launched "with" Marshall Rosenberg when I worked, on behalf of the former national charity for community mediation, Mediation UK, and with NVC-UK to put Marshall Rosenberg (of Radio 4 "Great Lives" fame etc) at the centre of an event for mediators at Conway Hall, London, in May 2006)

Anyhow, here's an example of me calling someone "Patronising", and sometime I'll share what I've learned since calling George Monbiot that. 

To make up in some way, I post his film that provoked me into this blog post and, for further context, provide here a link to the Daily Mail coverage of the Chairman of the Football Association losing his job for some "inappropriate and inconsiderate" language when facing a Parliamentary Committee focused on "more inclusivity" in sports: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8941225/Shamed-ex-FA-chairman-Greg-Clarke-190-000-year-job-FIFA-vice-president.html


No comments: